- Visiting Scholars
- Real Utopias
- Film Series
- Labor & Working Class Studies
Vivek Chibber: "Cause or Effect? Socialism and Economic Development"
- Artist: Vivek Chibber
- Title: Cause or Effect? Socialism and Economic Development
- Album: Socialism and the Global South: Retrospect and Prospect
- Year: 2011
- Length: 89:01 minutes (30.57 MB)
- Format: Stereo 44kHz 48Kbps (CBR)
VIVEK CHIBBER (Ph.D. Sociology, UW-Madison) is Associate Professor of Sociology at New York University. He is the author of Locked in Place: State-Building and Late Industrialization in India (Princeton University Press, 2003), which has received numerous awards, including the 2006 Distinguished Publication Award of the American Sociological Association (honorable mention) and the 2005 Barrington Moore Jr. Prize of the ASA’s Comparative and Historical Sociology Section. He is completing a book titled, "Postcolonial Theory and the Spectre of Capitalism," due out in Winter 2011 by Verso. The book is a critique of postcolonial theory, both as an explanatory framework and as a form of radical thought.